Friday, June 1, 2007

My new toy - Roomba Red

After pondering for a long time, asking people for opinion, comparing products on the net, I finally narrowed down on Roomba Red. For those who aren't familiar, Roomba is a vacuum cleaning robot made by a company called iRobot. It is supposed to detect dirt with its sensors, find its path around the room, go around and clean.

I spent about $150 and bought it from Amazon. It came in last week but I didn't have the time to try it out until today. Had to charge it for 16 hrs before the first use!

Though it didn't really leave my bedroom spotless, it worked fairly well. More than the cleaning aspect, it was great fun to watch it working. Its a pity that it needs to bang into walls and other obstacles to learn that it can't go further. They could've built some sensor in it for detecting obstacles from a distance! :(

There are cool add-ons to this gadget like what they call 'home base'. For extra $60 or so, you can make the Roomba run to its home base automatically when the battery is low! Besides, the home base charges it in half the time. I didn't buy the add-on, but it sounds interesting.

Here is a video of my new toy in action:

No comments: