Saturday, December 13, 2008

COM Surrogate has stopped working

I've been seeing this pain-in-the-ass error for a long time now on Windows Vista. 



After some googling, found out that this could happen because of some incompatible codecs installed on the system. I deal a lot with media, especially DivX / Xvid; and it looks like DivX and Nero AAC are the likely sources of this error. Anyway, I don't intend to install the "cure-all codec packs" that people suggest. For one, there is too much garbage in those codec packs. Second, I have a few media editors that need certain codecs, and I don't want the codec pack to interfere with my current setup.

So here is one another solution I found -


Among the solutions suggested, I followed the last one and it seems to work well so far.

In short, right click on My Computer, click Properties > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Settings (under Performance) > Data Execution Prevention tab > select Turn on DEP option > click Add > choose the file "dllhost.exe" under Windows\System32. After this, you should see an entry "COM Surrogate" added to the list. Press OK and get out. 

I didn't have to restart, though Windows threatened me to.

God bless the one who came up with this workaround.




No comments: